Does this article title sound strange to you? Well, actually, if you shouldn’t or won’t eat something, then you should never put it onto your skin. Your skin is the largest organ on your body. Its job is to protect your insides from foreign invaders like viruses, bacteria, and toxins, as well as flush out toxins from the inside of your body in the form of sweat.
However, many particles are still absorbed by the skin. Things that we might …not think about, such as our soap, dishwashing detergent, regular washing detergent, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, perfume, creams/ointments, sunscreen, cologne, aftershave, and makeup all are mostly, if not completely, absorbed by our skin. There are ingredients added to these products which help lotions, for example, to break the skin barrier and penetrate deeper into the body. This means that most other ingredients can follow, including the ones which you don’t want to “eat.”
People who have celiac, Crohn’s, fibromyalgia, or other auto-immune disorders need to be particularly careful when choosing personal care and the afore-mentioned household products, all of which are applied to the skin either directly or indirectly (as in detergents), because so many products, especially the ones marked as “organic” or “all-natural” or “pure” actually contain things like gluten (disguised under other names), soy and soy derivatives, and other common allergens which trigger histamine reactions, allergic reactions, and intolerance (which leads to auto-immune disorders and breaks down the immune system).
In addition, have you actually read the labels on most products these days? Do you know what each ingredient means? So many are actually toxins, like formaldehyde, neurotoxins, pesticides, anti-freeze, carcinogens, petroleum derivatives, preservatives, and the list goes on.
–Your skin basically “eats” them all!–
That means that you are ingesting small amounts of harmful ingredients every day, which collect in your fat cells, your liver, and even your brain, where they are stored until the body can slowly dispose of them. But this is a long process, and because many of us are not in the best of health to begin with, it can take years to get rid of all the “garbage” that builds up in our bodies, making us sick and OLD.
If you look at the chart above, you can see some of the major brands which are considered by most people to be relatively safe to use. However, look at the long list of ingredients as you go to the right! Do we really need to put all that stuff onto our faces? Less is more, as the saying goes. I know which one I would personally choose for mine. What about you?